Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
6 regular servings
18 soup shot servings
3lbs Butternut Squash
2 Tbsp canola oil
½ Fennel bulb, medium dice
1Small onion, medium dice
2 Shallots, medium dice
1 Leek, medium dice
3 Cloves garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp Ras el Hanout
2 oz Honey
1 cup Milk
3 qt Vegetable or Chicken Stock
¼ lb Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.Lightly coat with oil and season with salt and pepper.Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until tender
- Allow the squash to cool a little and scrape out the meat.
- Sweat shallots, onion, fennel, leeks and garlic in 2 tablespoons of the butter for two minutes.Add Ras el Hanout* and sweat for an additional minute
- Add stock, milk, squash and honey and bring to a boil.
- Simmer soup for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Puree soup in a blender to a smooth consistency adding the remaining butter a little at a time*
- Season and pass though a chinois or fine strainer
- Divide into six bowls and garnish*
*Note: do not fill the blender more than half way and always start on a low speed before blending on high when blending hot items.
*Suitable garnishes include sweet fish such as crab or scallops.Roasted mushrooms are also a nice accompaniment.
*Ras al Hanout is a Moroccan spice blend that can be found in specialty spice stores.