There’s a new margarita in town! It’s getting warmer in the city and that means the drinks are getting cooler. Prepare yourself for this one: it’s not your average bevy. With a homemade simple syrup made from toasted spices, fresh lime juice and plenty of love, the new Five Spice Balboa Margarita is causing a thirst-quenching stir in the neighborhood. Balboa Cafe’s Assistant GM Lisa Leventhal shares her homemade recipe for our new favorite summer staple.
- 1 1/2 oz. Double Barrel Reposado Tequila
- 1/2 oz. Combier
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 oz. Five-Spice simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons of Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons of cloves
- Grind all the spices in a spice grinder.
- Toast ground spices in a pan on the stove (the spices
will start to smoke).
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Strain mixture through cheese cloth.
- Store in the fridge, and it’s ready to use when chilled!