Angolee is the owner of Oya Salon with her husband Brian. Along with managing the salon, she’s also active in the Carmel/Monterey community, as well as managing a household with two kids. She knows a lot about the fabric of Carmel and beyond. She has great tips on Monterey and Carmel Valley for those who like to venture out of Carmel during their stay.
What do you believe to be Carmel’s hidden treasures that the locals mostly know about, but you don’t mind sharing with visitors.
- Big Sur and pretty much any spot there is magnificent.
- Carmel Beach is just a short walk from town – great walking beach and is dog friendly, also walking along Scenic in Pebble Beach or driving along 17-Mile Drive is a must and then eating at the Bench in Pebble Beach.
- For hiking, I love Garland
State Park in Carmel Valley
with its variety of landscapes and available hikes for different levels, making it great for the avid hiker or a more casual family hike. Afterwards, reward yourself with some wine tasting at one of the many wineries in Carmel Valley.
activities to do in Carmel and the surrounding areas?
- Of course, the Monterey Aquarium is always a favorite, even with the locals.
- For little kids, My Museum in Monterey has lots of interactive exhibits to keep young minds active.
- Dennis the Menace Park in Monterey has fun playgrounds.
- Kayak and bike rentals in Pacific Grove at Lovers Point Park and Beach.
- Skate board park at El Estero State Park in Monterey.
- Horseback riding at Andrew Molera State Park.
- Pfeiffer State Park has great
family-friendly trails walks/hikes.
Where do you go for a really great cocktail?
For fresh juice, I like Juice Bar: Good to Go and Carmel Belle. For cocktails, I go to Grazings, Barmel, Rooftop at Vesuvios, Il Fornaio, Lucas or any wine bar in Carmel.
What are your Carmel wardrobe essentials – how should people pack for a visit to Carmel?
Definitely wear layers. Pants, dresses with long or short boots, sweaters, light jackets.
Carmel is known for its charming town filled with shops, galleries, restaurants and cafés, what are some of your favorite spots?
Girl Boy Girl, Paloosh, Bay Company, Weston Gallery, Hat shop in Carmel, Foxy Couture, Thinker toys, Coast, Bay Company, Augustina Leathers, Eco Carmel, Fourtane, Star Child, Carmel Belle Restaurant, La Bicyclette Restaurant, Lucas Restaurant, Dametra Restaurant, Aw Shucks Restaurant, Little Napoli Restaurant, Casanovas Restaurant, Mundakas Restaurant, Roys or the Bench (MY FAVORITE FOR VIEW AND FOOD) in Pebble.
What do you love most about Carmel?
Its natural surroundings, peaceful, safe and clean. Love hiking, being outside, dog friendly, nice people, casual living.