This edition of Conversations with Hilary highlights my friend and NFL defensive lineman Justin Tuck, formerly of the New York Giants, now with the Oakland Raiders. While millions of viewers see Justin suited up on Sundays, I know him as a champion of philanthropy. Justin and his wife Lauran, recently announced a $250,000 donation to the literacy initiative, “The Read Zone,” in an effort to help raise awareness and provide low-income kids with books and dedicated reading programs. His donation is the first grant to the initiative started by the 50 Fund, which is a legacy fund of the San Francisco Bay Area Super Bowl 50 Host Committee. In his own words Justin says, “You don’t get many chances at this kind of Super Bowl platform often.” He is a true hero who takes advantage of the opportunities he is given to make a real impact on people’s lives.
Justin’s generosity is far reaching and includes our annual PlumpJack/LINK Golf Classic, in support of Breast Cancer research and Education benefiting CPIC.org. His participation since arriving to the bay Area has helped us raise over $500,000 in the past two years alone! I am deeply grateful and honored to call Justin and Lauran my friends. Enjoy!
1. What do you believe to be your greatest accomplishment?
Outside of being and husband and father I would say graduating from Notre Dame
2. Do you have a prized possession?
I really don’t have anything that I couldn’t part ways with so no
3. What qualities do you think others love about you?
Hardworking and honesty
4. If you could do anything other than what you currently do, what would it be?
I love cars and the outdoors. So probably something that allowed me to work with one or both
5. What do you like most about what you do for a living/career?
Football provides the opportunity to visit a lot of different places and meet different people – I think that is unique in this profession
6. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
7. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Friday night?
Watch a movie with the wife after the kids go to bed
8. What were you passionate about in your younger years growing up?
The outdoors and sports
9. What are you passionate about now?
My family, the outdoors, and sports lol
10. What’s your favorite season and why?
The fall, I love the coloring of the leaves and the milder weather
11. If you were stuck on a deserted island, what three items would you want to have with you?
My cell phone, fire starter, and some water
12. If you were a cocktail or a drink what would it be?
Johnny Walker Blue neat
13. What’s the #1 most played song on your iPod?
In The Air Tonight – Phil Collins
14. If you could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
Jesus, Martin Luther King and Muhammad Ali
15. If your life was made into a movie, what would it be called?
I Just Want to Play
16. Do you have any regrets?
None, everything that’s happened to me, good or bad I take as a blessing
17. Define freedom?
Being okay with whatever life throws your way
18. What are your personal core values?
Always find a way to make the people around you better