In my most recent family vacation to Hawaii to the Kohanaiki Club, we had the pleasure of meeting Gregory ‘Bonga’ Perkins. An American professional longboard surfer and two time ASP World Longboard Champion. He is regarded as one of the worlds best all around surfers.
When it comes to surfing, nothing holds more weight than a North Shore reputation. Bonga has carved a niche for himself in the fiercely competitive line-ups of Oahu’s North Shore. He won his first ASP title in 1996 and then again in 2008. An impressive athlete, he is one of the few that tackles Pipeline on longboard. An incredibly kind and warm person, Bonga was a delight to meet during my trip to the island while we stayed at the Kohanaiki Club .
1. What do you believe to be your greatest accomplishment?
My greatest accomplishment before having kids is knowing about this wonderful ocean.
2. Do you have a prized possession?
My most prized possession would be my surfboard!!!:-)
3. What qualities do you think others love about you?
Qualities people love about me it that I’m easy going and willing to give even if its just a little knowledge.
4. What do you like most about what you do for a living/career?
I love that there is no limits and or season to when you can or cannot do it. No one owns the ocean:-)
5. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
Think how blessed I am to do what I do and all the cool people I may meet today.
6. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Friday night?
I look forward to driving home and having a beer up in the mountains where I live if the waves aren’t up hahahah
7. What were you passionate about in your younger years growing up?
Wanting to be the best surfer in the world!
8. What are you passionate about now?
Just to see my kids love the ocean like me!
9. What’s your favorite season and why?
Winter season, big waves and lots of snow.
10. If you were stuck on a deserted island, what three items would you want to have with you?
My girlfriend, a spear gun and some beer.
11. If you were a cocktail or a drink what would it be?
Kamikaze for obvious reasons. My friends know when the waves are big you’ll see me out.
12. What’s the #1 most played song on your iPod?
Rolling Stones, anybody seen my baby
13. If you could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
Would have to be Julie Andrews.
14. Do you have any regrets?
15. Define freedom?
Waves in our Oceans
16. What are your personal core values?
Old school morals new school approach.
I can’t say enough about our stay at the Kahanaki Club on the Big Island of Hawaii. The homes are beautiful and the landscape is stunning. Can’t wait to return with my family.